RE: Alpha problems

----------
From:  John Goerzen[SMTP:jgoerzen@complete.org]
Sent:  Tuesday, October 27, 1998 7:54 PM
To:  debian-alpha@lists.debian.org
Subject:  Alpha problems

> * Most of xemacs20 is missing (xemacs20-bin, etc)

Until someone manages to compile it, use emacs20 :)

> * xbase is from the "new" (-6) X, but the rest of X isn't,
>  and things like xterm packages aren't there either, meaning
>   there's X but no xterm.  Why?  This is a serious problem.

This dropped on our head suddenly, but there are new X packages around already (scan the last messages
about that topic)

> * I can't compile a kernel.  At first, make menuconfig
>   complains of problems in line 30 of arch/alpha/Makefile.
>   Later, I am unable to select the NCR53c8xx driver for
>   compilation (I require this driver).  This applies to both
>   2.0.34 and 2.0.35.

Use my kernel patch package <gige.epy.co.at>.

> * kernel-source-2.0.35 just unpacks a tar.gz file in /usr/src.

Hmm, with the orignal kernel-source too ? I thought it was a problem of my patch only :) .. will investigate. Thanks.

> * I had an odd problem wherein all of a sudden fsck started

???????

>* The boot disks on master are hosed.  Ie, no resc1440.bin for my
>   system.

Use the new disks from Loic´s page (see Alpha port page). No resc1440 for what system ?

Guenter