Re: Booting an Alpha 164SX

> We got it working now (Falk and me). We made a new set of bootdisks
> and a new rescuedisk and that worked.
>
> Now milo barfs. The Alpha boots, I select linux at the boot
> prompt. loadlin gets loaded and executet and the alpha resets (at
> least the gfx board does), the graphics card and scsi board get
> initialised and some status info about my system, which are correct as
> far as I can tell. Then the following is displyed:
>
> MILO> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O>
> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O>
> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O>
> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O> O>
> O> O> O> O>
>
> I can press return, in which case milo tells me that the command is
> wrong and I should try "Help". After that the same prompt apears
> again. If I press returns and directly afterwards some key, those keys
> will be inbetween the "O>"'s. It seems that milo messes up the
> keyboard input and thinks I have some key pressed all the time.

It looks like you have something connected to the first serial port that
echoes back any output. MILO talks both to the display and ttyS0 (so you can
boot headless) and if there is something on ttyS0 (such as a modem) it can get
very confusing.

> I'm currently donwloading the redhat milo, kernel and image and I will
> try those. Hopefully their milo understands our Alpha. :)

It would seem so, after it gets to the MILO prompt there isn't that much left that can go wrong.

regards,
/Anders
Anders Hammarquist                                  | iko@cd.chalmers.se
Not system administrator at DjungelData             | Hem: +46 31 47 69 27
Chalmers University of Technology, G|teborg, Sweden | Mob: +46 707 27 86 87