RE: Alpha PC164-SX [Was: update of the installation disks]

> I now have a Alpha PC164-SX and I saw that the bootdisk's kernel won't
> work on that system because of a floppy bug. Are there some newer once
> on the way or can I exchange the kernel on the disk?

I just did a fresh install on a friends SX two days ago ..
As this machine is connected to the net, I will be able to compile kernels there and offer it for download.

The problem I have with the kernels is the correct configuration.
I would like to know the rationale between the different versions (except of course the machine type).
I already made list of different machine types and what their configuration actually means for the kernel.

      I don´t know which scsi and net drivers to include directly into the kernel and which to provide as modules.
This information is needed for the kernel-patch package.

Additionally I would like to have some response on the kernel-patch package.
Has anybody tried it ?
Did it work ?
Is it any good ?
Unluckily I have only access to one type of machine.

That said, the easiest way at the moment is to snap a kernel from Redhat 5.0.
(ftp.tu-chemnitz.de have a fast mirror).  and copy it to the rescue disk.
With root, drivers and base disk set you should be done.

> What exactly is the bug there? Does it crash or could I create a
> partition with the ramdisk (gunziped) on it on a PC and another one
> with base.tgz (or base.tgz via ppp)?

It doesn´t crash, the floppy just won´t work, thats all :(.

Guenter