Re: XFree86 on alpha & cirrus logic video?

>> >I have a fixed frequency cirrus logic based video card in my Noname at
>> >the moment.  Has anybody had any luck using this on Linux-alpha?
>> >XFree86 doesn't seem to compile it in when I've tried.
>>
>> Hmm, as far as I can tell it got compiled into the SVGA xserver, so
>> unless it is a strange video card the standard xserver-svga should
>> work with it.
>
>Well, IIRC, it gets compiled into the INTEL version of XF86_SVGA, but not
>the ALPHA one, for a very good reason: nobody's ported it yet...

You are right, of course. I just did a quick strings on the binary, and
it had cirrus mentioned in it. Looking through the directories after the
build (which wasn't finished yesterday) shows that the strings must have
come from somewhere else.

>> What kind of video card is it? Which cirrus logic chipset
>> is it using? Can you see the card with SuperProbe?
>
>The fact that SuperProbe might see it has no bearing on whether the support
>for it is in the server; SuperProbe is, IIRC, a completely separate source.

That is true, but if SuperProbe can't see it, chances are the server
will not either. Now, as it turned out, there is another reason for the
server not working with it.

Regards,
/Anders

Anders Hammarquist   |       Mud at Kingdoms        | iko@netg.se
NetGuide Scandinavia |   telnet kingdoms.se 1812    | Fax: +46 31 50 79 39
http://www.netg.se   |                              | Tel: +46 31 50 79 40