Re: XFree86 on alpha & cirrus logic video?

>>> Anders Hammarquist said:
> >I have a fixed frequency cirrus logic based video card in my Noname at
> >the moment.  Has anybody had any luck using this on Linux-alpha?
> >XFree86 doesn't seem to compile it in when I've tried.
>
> Hmm, as far as I can tell it got compiled into the SVGA xserver, so
> unless it is a strange video card the standard xserver-svga should
> work with it.

Well, IIRC, it gets compiled into the INTEL version of XF86_SVGA, but not
the ALPHA one, for a very good reason: nobody's ported it yet...

> What kind of video card is it? Which cirrus logic chipset
> is it using? Can you see the card with SuperProbe?

The fact that SuperProbe might see it has no bearing on whether the support
for it is in the server; SuperProbe is, IIRC, a completely separate source.

--Jay++

  American Non Sequitur Society: we don't make sense, but we do like pizza...

Jay A Estabrook                         Alpha Motherboards - LINUX Project
Digital Equipment Corp.                 (508) 841-3241 or (DTN) 237-3241
334 South Street, Shrewsbury, MA 01545  Jay.Estabrook@digital.com