Re: booting/installing debian-alpha

On Wed 10 Jun 1998, Kristoffer.Rose@ens-lyon.fr wrote:

> IMO the most convenient layout is to have at the root something like
>
> 	/alpha/base2_0.tgz
> 	/alpha/root.bin
>
> and then - for each <arch> of Alpha, i.e., avanti, miata, udb, etc., a
> subdirectory containing
>
> 	/alpha/<arch>/milo
> 	/alpha/<arch>/vmlinux.gz
> 	/alpha/<arch>/resc1440.bin
> 	/alpha/<arch>/drv1440.bin
>
> Unfortunately this is not efficient: it means about 4M per <arch> of which
> at least a dozen are in common use.  But it does make the installation
> easy: users should just create a "boot selection" with
>
> > if i can do anything, please contact me ...
>
> Yes, please publicize the layout of the CD-ROM so we can comment on it from
> a multi-architectural viewpoint...i.e., should the layout be such that we
> can, once the DVDs get normal, put all distributions (source + i386 + alpha
> + ...) on the same DVD, or what?

I think that we shouldn't hold our breath waiting for that.
Hence, the current set of cdroms will be specific to Alpha, i386, etc.
That means the /alpha could be removed from the above list of names,
which cuts down on the amount of typing necessary. Besides that, are
different rescue floppy images needed for different archs? I thought the
arch-dependent part was milo and vmlinux.gz ...

BTW, if you (Andreas) have a proposal, I can test it on my XL to see if
the principle works, I have a cd writer available here at work.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands