Re: Intent to compile: joe and wvdial for alpha

On Sun 05 Apr 1998, Avery Pennarun wrote:

> In any case, I see that neither joe nor wvdial have been built for the alpha
> architecture.  Wvdial I can understand, but is there any particular reason
> 'joe' hasn't been done?  I've built both packages here without trouble, and
> can upload them to master if no one objects.

If you've managed to build a package without problems (and maybe even
tested it :-), I see no reason why you should not upload that package to
master (if there isn't an equivalent version already there).
So, go ahead.

> By the way, how reasonable is an i386->alpha cross compiler right now?  I
> know that WAAAAAY back in 1994, gcc had some troubles cross-compiling
> to/from alpha because of some random 32 vs. 64-bit problems.  Is it okay
> now, or should I just try it and see?

AFAIK it doesn't work; gcc (still) has problems crosscompiling across
different native word sizes.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl