Re: Creating new install disks for alpha

On Sun 05 Apr 1998, Sven Rudolph wrote:
> Guenter Geiger <geiger@iem.mhsg.ac.at> writes:
>
> >  > I strongly feel that if a decent installation disk set, and all of the
> >  > base packages and enough of devel to support compilation of additional
> >  > packages is stable and working... then we ought to release as 'stable' when
> >  > 2.0 releases.
> >  >
> >  > We can always add things through whatever "hamm-updates"
> >  > mechanism is used, and if we release a stable feature subset at
> >  > 2.0, it'll be that much easier to get critical mass for a more
> >  > complete release at 2.1...

Yes, I feel this is pretty important. When people now ask what
distributions are available for the Alpha, all I can say is "Red Hat"
(although I gather there's a new one (german?)).

It doesn't matter whether it's fully complete or not. It's probably more
complete than Red Hat is :-)

> >  Ok, so anybody with base disks experience around ?
>
> In order to use the default procedures for making base disks we need
> kernel-image packages for all the architecture versions. I didn't
> find out how the currently-used install disks were built.

I'd be more than willing to help with the install/base disks. I have a
scratch partition in my XLT, and my UDB is crying out for debian as well
(it currently has RH 4.1).

Who _did_ make the current set? Is he/they no longer with us?

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands