Re: xfree-3.1.1

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Loic Prylli wrote:

> First thank for the great work, I succeed in installing from scratch
> debian on our Alpha without too much problems.

:)  Glad to hear it went pretty well.  Post a list of any dependency
problems that you had during install and I'll try to get those fixed
soon :)

> I have compiled xfree-3.1.1 from the source package.
>
> The compilation goes fine in all cases, but:
> - xterm needs a small patch
> - and a shared library for xdm should be added when creating the
>   binary
>  (these bugs also exists in the i386 package I think).

I've completely rebuilt xfree today.  I'm working on getting my patches
together so I can submit them to the bug tracking system.

> I have tried compiling with the gcc-2.7.2 in hamm, with gcc-2.8.0, and
> egcs-1.01, with the three compilers and optimization level greater or
> equal to -O1, almost all binaries do NOT work.
>
> With -O0 all seems to run fine.

That's really odd.  I haven't had any problems, but then again, I don't
run X at all :P  I have a working package on my site (it's a little old,
but it's 3.1.1 at least).  If you want to try it out (and the new one will
be up shortly for testing), ftp here:
	beezer.med.miami.edu:/pub/chris

> As any body had success compiling xfree with optimizations, and so
> with which compiler?

I'm trying it with 2.8.0.  I guess time will tell if they work or not.

> I am willing to upload my xfree-3.1.1 binary packages to master if
> nobody had already planned that, does it cause a problem?

I'll take care of uploading this one tomorrow (if the build went well).
There were a few extra patches that I had to make that you didn't mention
(tk8.0 and tcl8.0 related along with a patch for XF86Setup).  I'm heavily
familiar with this package, so I guess it's probably better to leave it
for me :)

> On another subject some questions about compilers: has anybody some
> benchmarks of gcc/g77 against Digital compilers. Is there any (perhaps
> commercial) good compiler available for Linux (I have seen no numbers
> for microway compilers).

I'm waiting on the new g77 to come out so I can build it against gcc
2.8.0.  Until then, g77 doesn't seem to work really well.  I have seen
benchmarks on it from the RedHat list, though, and it runs at about 50%
under the Digital compilers.  If you want/require performance and F77,
then it's definitely better to stick with Digital's compilers above all
others.

> Finally what is necessary to use digital unix
> compilers to compile for Linux? is it possible to run them on linux,
> or do you need a DU machine?

I have no idea unfortunately.  I don't have access to DU, otherwise, I
would've tried this by now :(

Let me know if you succeed with getting DU compilers to work and how you
did it.  I'm just curious.  It's probably best to also post it to the list
so it can be archived for others who want to do the same thing.

Thanks!!!!  Enjoy!

Chris