Re: divison by zero trap

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Guenter Geiger wrote:

>  Looking through the axp-kernel archives I found the solution for the
>  problem. There's a system call for that. It is
>
>  ieee_set_fp_control(ctrl_bits);
>
>  the argument is a bit map  see FPCR_*** in include/asm-alpha/fpu.h.
>
>  With this call you can enable trapping on a per thread basis.
>
>  Somebody suggested that the default behaviour should be as on Intel
> (trapping disabled for division by zero)
>  so this call should probably be included into glibc. (probably this is
>  done already and my glibc version is too old ?)

That's probably not a bad idea :)  Michael Dorman just released a new
glibc for the Alpha. I'm not sure if it includes this or not, though
(probably not).  I'll look since I just installed his new glibc into my
system last night.

>  Well, I don't know enough to say something about this, this was just
>  a suggestion, because more people will run into this problem,
>  especially when porting math packages.

Yeah, that's a good idea.  I found the same thing when I poked into the
kernel source last night.  I'll also have to check to make sure that it's
the same throughout the development and stable kernels, btw.