tulip.c modification changes got rid of kernel unaligned access

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Nikita Schmidt wrote:
> > If you're using the tulip.c driver of Donald Becker, change:
> >
> > #define SKBUFF_RX_COPYBREAK 200
> > #define SKBUFF_RX_COPYBREAK 16384

I compiled a fresh 2.0.31 kernel yesterday.  I changed a
"static const" instead of a define, but from 200 to 16384.
The machine was up for 13 hours (while I was home sleeping)
without giving single unaligned access complaint (as opposed
to 20 in a minute, as before). So far so good.

Yesterday, I was checking the swap partition, using
badblocks, and that crashes the system. Under Red Hat and
Debian, using 2.0.27, 2.0.30 and my newly compiled 2.0.31
(under Debian only). The error message on the console is
(under 2.0.31):

	Device busy for revalidation (usage=3)
	CIA machine check NOT expected

(that last error message is amusing, but it might eventually
cause confusion similar to the classic "Intruder alert" and
"you don't exist, go away"; one of my co-workers thought I'd
played a joke and didn't believe it was a real error
message).

(BTW, sorry for flooding the list with my problems. I try to
report only relevant stuff. I'm rather unqualified to
operate an Alpha, since I don't know anything about it.)