Re: Some questions

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.971020122716.17562A-100000@beezer.med.miami.edu> you wrote:
: I *highly* recommend installing ncurses3.0 libraries as well at least for
: the time being.  We're nearly done recompiling everything for ncurses3.4,
: but until we can guarantee it, it's better to play it safe.

I've chosen the other attitude, which is that I'm not running the 3.0 libs,
and any time I find something I need that depends on it, I do a rebuild and
upload.  Chris generated a list of packages that still had explicit libc5 and
old ncurses dependencies, and "in my copious spare nanoseconds" I've been
trying to recompile and upload fresher versions with fixed dependencies.  There
are a number of packages yet to do, however most of what I care about is now
working.

There are about a half-dozen things that I've uploaded that are "in jail" on
master because they are rebuilds of the same versions of packages that were
already there.  For these, I'll probably just use my privs on master to force
an overriding installation, but this does suggest that we should probably use
the non-maintainer upload versioning rules to upload a re-compilation even if
the source hasn't changed.  I've been out of town since mid-last-week, so I
just found out about these, I'll try to get them into the tree on master
later today.  The packages currently in jail are...

	gnuplot,amanda,git,ispell,minicom

Also, note that the 'dump' package I put on master recently has some ugly
problems, I've pulled down some patches for glibc and alpha from RedHat and
others and am reading them, I hope to have dump and the amanda-client solid
on my alpha shortly, at which time I'll probably have a fresh dump upload and
will say something here.

Bdale