Re: Some questions

On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> Well, of course, trying to use dselect on the ftp.funet.fi
> mirror broke many things. Among other things, it wouldn't
> boot anymore (pressing ctrl-alt-del froze the console).
> I'll re-install from scratch (should be easy: mke2fs, untar
> base1_3.tgz, edit a few files; the Red Hat installation on
> an other disk works fine).

Yeah, as far as I know, dselecting is still kinda ugly.  This is mostly
because alot of the packages that we had to work with were not either
glibc-friendly or were in the old packaging format...hand-installed, most
of this stuff works, ironically...it's when it bombs on dependencies that
usually causes the disasters like you mentioned.

> Um, not as far as I can see: the sources are there, but
> /debian/hamm/hamm/binary-alpha/base contains only
> ncurses-base_1.9.9g-5.deb and ncurses-bin_1.9.9.3-1.deb.
> .../libs contains ncurses3.0_1.9.9e-1.deb.

Ah, you are correct, although I don't know how I could've thought
otherwise :P  I have new copies of ncurses3.4 on my site:
	beezer.med.miami.edu:/pub/chris/to_master
I *highly* recommend installing ncurses3.0 libraries as well at least for
the time being.  We're nearly done recompiling everything for ncurses3.4,
but until we can guarantee it, it's better to play it safe.

Chris