Re: Can't compile a kernel ...

Hi,

Finally I have the kernel patches (hopefully) corrected.  They are no longer
that huge monolithic diff.  I've split them into 3 parts:
	(1) pre-patch from ftp.kernel.org;
	(2) alpha-patches (v0.2) from gatekeeper, reduced and modified to apply
	    on top of 2.0.30.pre-10;
	(3) fixes for the alpha-patches.
Parts 2 and 3 are available from genie.ucd.ie:/pub/alpha/kernel as
alpha-patches-0.2-glibc2.diff and ap-0.2-fixes-1.diff respectively.  See also
the README file.

alpha-patchset.tar.gz is a collection of the two diffs mentioned above,
one extra diff and two README files (see the comments on that extra diff
in README).

Warning: version 0.2 of alpha-patches may have introduced new bugs.
All changes between 0.1 and 0.2 are only improvements of em86.

Also note that new pre-patches change the kernel version to 2.0.31 -
don't be surprised.

On Sunday, 28 Sep, Nikhil Nair wrote:

> I then had a go at Nikita's stuff.  Two changes needed: first reverse the
> patch to include/linux/types.h, then add a patch to drivers/scsi/aic7xxx.c
> (see below).  BTW, no trouble with ide-cd now ...

Sorry about types.h, I don't remember how it got there, but now it's
gone.  Problem with aic7xxx.c has been addressed in pre-10 by just
commenting out the offending assembly code (which "isn't even used yet").
I hope it's OK.

On Saturday, 27 Sep, Chris Chimelis wrote:

> Well, Mike and I talked about this in the past and, while neither of us
> thought that having a frozen include tree was a bad idea if no kernel
> patches were needed, I can see now that we may want to have the symlinks
> now.

A frozen include tree is certainly a good idea, the only problem is that
it is too unstable at the moment to become frozen...

OK.  Enjoy the new patches; I've successfully built a kernel for my
machine (with Adaptec to check that it compiles), but haven't run it
yet.  It is supposed to be suitable for the installation procedure (i.e.
it has RAM-disk, floppy, CD etc. compiled in) for the Avanti family
(umm, at least for AlphaStation 255).  To be booted via MILO.  If
anybody is interested/wants to test it, it's on
genie.ucd.ie:/pub/alpha/kernel/avanti.gz (avanti.map.gz is the
System.map).

Cheers,

	Nikita