From: Jay.Estabrook@digital.com
To: "Roberto A. Lumbreras Pastor" <rover@lander.es>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 17:39:57 +0500
Subject: Re: noritake and linux/alpha

>>> "Roberto A. Lumbreras Pastor" said:
>
> Humm... there is no "alpha_systype", Alcor or something in /etc...
> maybe that is redhat specific?

Actually, it's used by the LIBC (and GLIBC 2.0 in RH's new 5.0) to help
figure out what Alpha platform it (LIBC) is running on, so it can use the
correct mechanism for implementing bus memory and I/O space access to use
user apps (ie inb/outb/etc).

Normally, the LIBC gets the needed info from /proc/cpuinfo and uses a fixed
table lookup internally to choose the appropriate mechanism. If the platform
is NOT one of the ones in its table, this /etc/alpha_systype provides a way
to say "it's really like this other one" which *is* in the table.

I don't know what the plans are for Debian's LIBC, and how it will take care
of this problem. Do you know, or know who *would*?

--Jay++