Re: Kernel for AlphaServer 1000

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Salvador Pinto Abreu wrote:

: From: Salvador Pinto Abreu <spa@sc.uevora.pt>
: To: "debian-alpha@lists.debian.org" <debian-alpha@lists.debian.org>
: Cc: "'jestabro@linux03.amt.tay1.dec.com'"
     <jestabro@linux03.amt.tay1.dec.com>,
:     "'Roberto A. Lumbreras Pastor'" <rover@lander.es>
: Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 19:35:05 -0000
: Subject: Kernel for AlphaServer 1000
:
: Hi,
:
: I managed to boot an AlphaServer 1000 5/300 using the
: noritake-2030-srm-ev5-07nov.img image on gatekeeper, as Roberto Pastor
: advised.

If you have an AlphaServer 1000 5/300 (without A) I think you have
a "mikasa-primo" (alias name), so you can try the kernels from
debian/dists/unstable/hamm/disks-alpha for "mikasa". Look at
ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/DEC/Linux-Alpha/Kernels/Test-Milos-2.0.30+/MILO-systypes,
it is a nice guide to map commercial alpha names and its aliases.

: However, even though the system is running (modulo a few oopses) it's got a
: real problem: it recognizes the DE435 board but it doesn't work.
:
: I've been trying to compile new kernels (I'm using a straight 2.0.32) but
: none of them boots; the question: what are the options that were used to
: build that kernel? is 2.0.32 OK or should I look for some patches?

you have to do:

cd /some/where/NOT/usr/src (include problems?)
tar zxvf linux-2.0.XX.tar.gz
cd linux
change "ARCH = i386" for "ARCH = alpha" at top of Makefile
make config (not menuconfig/xconfig)
make boot (you will get an arch/alpha/boot/vmlinux.gz for booting
           with aboot, there is not MILO for mikasa yet)

For me it is very bad (kernel oopses at boot time) option
CONFIG_ALPHA_SRM_SETUP (Use SRM PCI setup), but my box is an
1000A 5/333 (noritake-primo).

I don't know if you must/should use alpha patches from
gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/DEC/Linux-Alpha/Kernels... I have to use
them because noritake is not supported yet by normal linux kernel.
I suppose somebody owning a mikasa can give you some advice...

I think you will find usefull http://www.azstarnet.com/~axplinux/,
included .../~axplinux/srm.html.

: Thanks
: ../salvador

Good luck!

PD: Use Jay.Estabrook@digital.com insted of
jestabro@linux03.amt.tay1.dec.com to write to Jay Estabrook.

Regards,
--
Roberto Lumbreras Pastor  *  mailto:rover@lander.es
Lander Internet - Spain   *  http://www.lander.es/

"Try to remove the color-problem by restarting your computer
several times." (Microsoft-Internet Explorer README.TXT)