Can't compile a kernel ...

Hi,

If I'm doing something obviously wrong, I'd appreciate if someone would
point it out ... but ...

I've been trying the following:

1) I've installed Debian.  No kernel-* packages - I've never used them on
my i586 box.

2) Unpack the kernel source into /usr/src/linux.  Patch if appropriate.

3) make config (or copy previously setup .config file into place).

4) make dep && make clean .

So far, so good.

5) make   (I'd do `make zImage' on my i586 box, but that obviously isn't
appropriate here; is this right?)

I haven't been getting very far from here on.

a) Nikita's patches: this is the first thing I tried.  It failed on the
first file (init/main.c).  I tracked it down to include/linux/types.h -
this had been patched to add the line
   typedef __kernel_key_t key_t
but (i) the typedef in ipc.h hadn't been removed, and (ii) __kernel_key_t
wasn't a known type.

I reversed this part of the patch, and tried again.  This time, the ide-cd
was broken.  I disabled it in the config, and tried yet again.  *This*
time the aic7xxx driver was broken: there was some i386 assembler code in
the new, patched version, which wasn't in the old version ... obviously
not a good thing.

I gave up on that patch.  At this point, I thought it was the patch's
fault.

b)  I then tried 2.0.30 + alpha-patches-2.0.30-0.1 from gatekeeper.  Fell
over very quickly (init/main.c), complaining about another header file,
IIRC.

c) As a last resort, I tried plain 2.0.30.  Again no go - kernel/sched.c
this time.

So I reckon it must be my system.  I'm running a kernel from gatekeeper
(pc164-2031-test...), I can only think this must be the problem ...

I enclose my list of enclosed packages below ... any clues, please let me
know.

Cheers,

Nikhil.

--
Nikhil Nair
Trinity College, Cambridge, England

---------------------------------------

# dpkg -l
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  adduser         3.7            Add users and groups to the system.
ii  ae              962-12         Anthony's Editor -- a tiny full-screen edito
ii  af              1.99.18-beta-1 An Emacs-like mail reader and composer.
ii  afio            2.4.2-2        Archive file manipulation program.
ii  alien           5.17           Install Red Hat and Slackware Packages with
ii  apache          1.2.4-1        Versatile, high-performance HTTP server
ii  apache-doc      1.2.4-2        Apache documentation
ii  ascii           2.0-1          A programmer's utility that recognizes diffe
ii  at              3.1.3-1        Delayed job execution and batch processing
ii  auctex          9.7n-2         An integrated environment for writing TeX/La
ii  autoconf        2.12-2         automatic configure script builder.
ii  base-files      1.3.5          Debian Base System Miscellaneous Files
ii  base-passwd     1.3.2          Debian Base System Password/Group Files
ii  bash            2.0-3          The GNU Bourne Again SHell
ii  bash-builtins   2.0-3          Bash loadable builtins - headers & examples
ii  bc              1.04-2         An arbitrary precision calculator language.
ii  biff            5.31-1         a mail notification tool
ii  binutils        2.8.1-1        The GNU assembler, linker and binary utiliti
ii  bison           1.25-4         A parser generator that is compatible with Y
ii  bonnie          1-1            File System Performance Benchmark
ii  boot-floppies   1.2.23         Scripts to create the Debian installation fl
ii  bsdmainutils    3.4            More utilities from 4.4BSD-Lite.
ii  bsdutils        3.1.3          Basic utilities from 4.4BSD-Lite.
ii  bug             2.95           Bug Reporting Tool interfacing with the Bug
ii  calc            2.02f-1        Calc is an advanced calculator and mathemati
ii  cdtool          1.01-1         some text-based commands for managing a CD
ii  cfgtool         1.5-1          Manipulate system configuration variables
ii  cfingerd        1.3.2-3        Configurable and secure finger daemon
ii  cflow           2.0-9          C function call hierarchy analyzer
ii  cpio            2.4.2-10       GNU cpio -- a program to manage archives of
ii  cpp             2.7.2.1-10     The GNU C preprocessor.
ii  cron            3.0pl1-38      management of regular background processing
ii  cstocs          3.0-4          Just another recoding utility
ii  cvs             1.9-4          Concurrent Versions System -- an RCS extensi
ii  data-dumper     2.07-1         Store and retrieve perl data structures
ii  dc              1.04-2         An arbitrary precision reverse-polish calcul
ii  debian-policy   2.3.0.0        Debian Policy Manual and related documents
ii  debianutils     1.4            Miscellaneous utilities specific to Debian.
ii  debmake         3.2.7          Development environment for Debian Sourcepac
ii  deliver         2.1.12-2       Local mail delivery agent.
ii  developers-refe 0.1            Debian Developer's Reference
ii  dftp            3.1-2          Linux "Debian Distribution" Packages Maintai
ii  dialog          0.9a-8         Displays user-friendly dialog boxes from she
ii  diff            2.7-13         File comparison utilities
ii  diffstat        1.25-6         produces graph of changes introduced by a di
ii  dnsutils        970203-0.1     Utilities for querying the DNS.
ii  doc-debian      1.5-0          Debian Manual, FAQ and other documents
ii  doc-iana        1997.05-1      Internet protocol parameter registry
ii  doc-linux       97.09-1        Linux FAQ and mini-HOWTOs.
ii  doc-linux-text  97.09-1        Linux HOWTOs in plain text format
ii  doc-rfc         1997.05-1      Important RFCs
ii  docbook         3.0-2          DocBook is an SGML DTD for software document
ii  dpkg            1.4.0.19       Package maintenance system for Debian Linux
ii  dpkg-dev        1.4.0.19       Package building tools for Debian Linux
ii  dpkg-ftp        1.4.9          Ftp method for dselect.
ii  dpkg-mountable  0.4            Enhanced access method for dselect
ii  dpkg-perl       0.1-2          Perl interface modules for dpkg
ii  dpkg-repack     0.8            attempts to put an unpacked .deb file back t
ii  dupload         1.16           Utility to upload debian packages.
ii  e2fsprogs       1.10-2         The EXT2 file system utilities.
ii  ed              0.2-12         The classic unix line editor
ii  electric-fence  2.0.5-3        A malloc(3) debugger
ii  elib            1.0-2          Library of commonly-used Emacs functions
ii  elisp-manual    19-2.4-2       Emacs Lisp Reference Manual
ii  elm-me+         2.4pl25ME+32-1 MIME & PGP-aware interactive mail reader [en
ii  emacs           19.34-11       The GNU Emacs editor.
ii  emacs-el        19.34-12       GNU Emacs LISP (.el) files.
ii  emacs-lisp-intr 1.04-1         Programming in Emacs Lisp: An Introduction
ii  fdflush         1.0.0-7        A disk-flushing program.
ii  file            3.20.1-3       Determines file type using "magic" numbers
ii  fileutils       3.16-2         GNU file management utilities.
ii  findutils       4.1-21         utilities for finding files--find, xargs, an
ii  flex            2.5.4-2        A fast lexical analyzer generator.
ii  ftnchek         2.9.4-1        A semantic checker for Fortran 77 programs.
ii  ftplib          2-3            Library of callable ftp routines
ii  gawk            3.0.2-1        GNU awk, a pattern scanning and processing l
ii  gcc             2.7.2.1-10     The GNU C compiler.
ii  gcl-doc         2.2.1-1        Documentation for GNU Common Lisp.
ii  gclinfo         2.2-4          ANSI Common Lisp specification in info forma
ii  gdb             4.16-11        The GNU Debugger
ii  gettext         0.10.26-0      GNU Internationalization utilities
ii  getty           1.45a-3        agetty, an alternative Linux getty
ii  git             4.3.16-2       GNU Interactive Tools
ii  gmp             2.0.2-1        Multiprecision arithmetic library
ii  gnuplot         3.5beta6.328-2 A command-line driven interactive function p
ii  gpm             1.12-1         General Purpose Mouse Interface
ii  grep            2.0-11         GNU grep, egrep and fgrep.
ii  groff           1.10-2         GNU troff text-formatting system.
ii  gzip            1.2.4-15       The GNU compression utility.
ii  hdparm          3.3-2          Tune hard disk parameters for high performan
ii  hextype         3.0-2          Hexdump according to the old DOS Debug outpu
ii  hostname        2.01           A utility to set/show the host name or domai
ii  ibritish        3.1.20-0.1     A British English dictionary for ispell.
ii  indent          1.9.1-16       C language source code formatting program
ii  info            3.9-4          Standalone GNU Info documentation browser
ii  info2www        1.2.2.9-8      Read Info files with a WWW browser
ii  ircii           2.9.3roof-1    Internet Relay Chat client
ii  ispell          3.1.20-0.1     An interactive spelling corrector
ii  jgraph          83-9           Jim Plank's program for producing PostScript
ii  kbd             0.92-3         Linux console font and keytable utilities.
ii  lapack-doc      2.0.1-2        a comprehensive set of linear algebra routin
ii  ldconfig        1.8.1-1        determine run-time link bindings.
ii  lde             2.3.4-1        Linux Disk Editor
ii  ldso            1.7.14-2       Dummy deb package
ii  leave           1.4-3          Remind you when you have to leave
ii  less            321-2          A file pager program, similar to more(1)
ii  lftp            0.12.1-1       Sophisticated command-line FTP client progra
ii  libbfd2.7.0.16  2.7.0.16-2     The GNU Binary File Descriptor library (run-
ii  libbfd2.8.1     2.8.1-1        The GNU Binary File Descriptor library (run-
ii  libbfd2.8.1-dev 2.8.1-1        The GNU Binary File Descriptor library (deve
ii  libbsd          5.2.18         BSD compatibility library for GNU libc.
ii  libc6-doc       2.0.4-1        The GNU C library version 2 (documentation f
ii  libc6.1         2.0.4-1        The GNU C library version 2 (run-time files)
ii  libc6.1-dbg     2.0.4-1        The GNU C library version 2 (debugging/profi
ii  libc6.1-dev     2.0.4-1        The GNU C library version 2 (development fil
ii  libc6.1-pic     2.0.4-1        The GNU C library version 2 (PIC library)
ii  libdb1          1.85.4-3       The Berkeley database routines (runtime vers
ii  libg++27        2.7.2.1-8      The GNU C++ libraries (ELF version).
ii  libgdbmg1       1.7.3-22       GNU dbm database routines (runtime version).
ii  libgdbmg1-dev   1.7.3-22       GNU dbm database routines (development files
ii  libgpm1         1.12-1         General Purpose Mouse Library
ii  libident        0.21-1         a simple RFC1413 client library
ii  libjpeg6a       6a-4           The Independent JPEG Group's jpeg library (r
ii  libnet-perl     1.0502-1       Implementation of Internet protocols for Per
ii  libpam-dbg      0.56-2         Static library with debugging symbols for li
ii  libpam-dev      0.56-2         Header files for libpam
ii  libpam-doc      0.56-2         Documentation for libpam
ii  libpam-util     0.56-2         Authentication modules and system binaries f
ii  libpam0         0.56-2         Pluggable Authentication Modules library
ii  libpaper        1.0.3-3        Library for handling paper characteristics
ii  libpng0         0.95b-1        PNG library - runtime
ii  libproc-dev     1.11.5         library for accessing process information fr
ii  libpwdb0        0.54preD-1     Password database library for Linux-PAM
ii  libreadline2    2.1-2          GNU readline and history libraries, run-time
ii  libreadline2-de 2.1-2          GNU readline and history libraries, developm
ii  locales         2.0.4-1        Locale data files and utilities.
ii  login           961025-1       Sign on to the system.
ii  lout            3.08-2         Typesetting system, an alternative to (La)Te
ii  lpr             5.9-17         Berkeley lpr/lpd line printer spooling syste
ii  lshell          2.01-8         Enforce limits to protect system integrity.
ii  lynx            2.7-2          Text-mode WWW Browser
ii  m4              1.4-6          a macro processing language
ii  mailpgp         1.0-3          PGP mail encryption script.
ii  mailx           8.1.1-3        A simple mail user agent.
ii  make            3.75-4         The GNU version of the "make" utility.
ii  make-doc        3.76-1         Documentation for the GNU version of the "ma
hi  makedev         1.5-4          Creates special device files in /dev.
ii  man-db          2.3.10-39      Display the on-line manual.
ii  manpages        1.17-3         Man pages about using a Linux system.
ii  manpages-dev    1.17-3         Linux-development man pages.
ii  mawk            1.3.3-1        a pattern scanning and text processing langu
ii  mc              3.5.17-1       Midnight Commander - A feature-rich full-scr
ii  metamail        2.7-22         An implementation of MIME.
ii  mh              6.8.4-13       A set of electronic mail handling programs.
ii  mhonarc         2.0.1-1        Mail to HTML converter
ii  mime-support    2.12-1         MIME files 'mime.types' & 'mailcap', and sup
ii  mimedecode      1.8-2          Decodes transfer encoded text type mime mess
ii  mirror          2.8-9          Perl program for keeping ftp archives up-to-
ii  miscfiles       1.1-2          Dictionaries and other interesting files.
ii  mmv             1.01b-1        Move/Copy/Append/Link multiple files
ii  modconf         0.2.13         Device Driver Configuration
ii  modutils        2.1.42-1       Linux module utilities.
ii  mount           2.6d-2         Tools for mounting and manipulating filesyst
ii  mtools          3.6-1          Tools for manipulating MSDOS files
ii  mutt            0.79-1         Text-based mailreader supporting MIME, PGP a
ii  ncurses-base    1.9.9g-3       Video terminal manipulation - Minimum termin
ii  ncurses-bin     1.9.9e-1       Video terminal manipulation: associated prog
ii  ncurses-term    1.9.9g-3       Video terminal manipulation - additional ter
ii  ncurses3.0      1.9.9e-1       Video terminal manipulation: shared librarie
ii  ncurses3.0-dev  1.9.9e-1       Video terminal manipulation: Developer's lib
ii  ncurses3.0-pic  1.9.9e-1       Video terminal manipulation: Shared-library
ii  netbase         2.17-1         Basic TCP/IP networking binaries
ii  netstd          2.16-1         Networking binaries and daemons for Linux
ii  nvi             1.76-1         4.4BSD re-implementation of vi.
ii  octave-ci       97.06-1        Contributed functions for the GNU Octave lan
ii  open            1.4-2          start a program on a new virtual terminal (V
ii  passwd          961025-1       Change and administer password and group dat
ii  patch           2.2-1          Apply a diff file to an original
ii  pax             2.1-3          PAX - Portable Archive Interchange
ii  pdksh           5.2.12-4       A public domain version of the Korn shell
ii  perforate       1.0-6          Utilities to save disk space
ii  perl            5.004-1        Larry Wall's Practical Extracting and Report
ii  perl-debug      5.004-1        Allow debugging perl scripts (and perl).
ii  perl-suid       5.004-1        Runs setuid perl scripts.
ii  pgp-i           2.6.3a-1       Public key encryption system (International
ii  pico            3.96L-2        Easy-to-use text editor found in Pine.
ii  pine            3.96L-2        An e-mail reader with MIME and IMAP support.
ii  pine-tech-notes 3.96L-2        Pine technical notes.
ii  pkg-order       0.14           A Package dependency checker and install ord
ii  pmake           1.0-15         4.4BSD make (pmake).
ii  postgres95-doc  1.09-1         Documentation for Postgres95
ii  procmail        3.10.4-1       Versatile e-mail processor.
ii  procps          1.11.5         The /proc file system utilities.
ii  psgml           1.0.1-5        An Emacs major mode for editing SGML documen
ii  publib-dev      0.25-1         C function library
ii  pwgen           1-7            Automatic Password generation
ii  qcrack          1.0.1-3        Admin package to check for *weak* passwords.
ii  rcs             5.7-4          The GNU Revision Control System
ii  remind          3.0.16-1       a sophisticated reminder service
ii  rpm             2.3.10-1       Red Hat Package Manager
ii  screen          3.7.2-2        A screen manager with VT100/ANSI terminal em
ii  sed             2.05-12        The GNU sed stream editor.
ii  setcd           1.1-1          Control the behaviour of your cdrom device
ii  setserial       2.12-2         Controls configuration of serial ports.
ii  sgml-base       0.3            utilities to maintain the SGML catalog file
ii  sgml-data       0.03           Data files for SGML programs
ii  sgml-tools      0.99.7-3       SGML tools
ii  sgmlspm         1.03ii-3       Perl modules for processing SGML parser outp
ii  sharutils       4.2-2          shar, unshar, uuencode, uudecode
ii  shellutils      1.16-1         The GNU shell programming utilities.
ii  slang0.99.34    0.99.38-2      A C programming library for user interfaces
ii  slang0.99.34-de 0.99.38-1      A C programming library for user interfaces
ii  slay            1.2-4          kills all of the user's processes
ii  smail           3.2-3          Electronic mail transport system.
ii  smartlist       3.10.7-1       Versatile and Intelligent List Processor
ii  sp              1.1.1-3        James Clark's suite of tools to parse SGML f
ii  spellprogs      1.11-1         Three shell spell scripts.
ii  spline          1.0-3          Akima spline interpolation.
ii  strace          3.1-8          A system call tracer.
ii  suidmanager     0.8            Manage File Permissions
ii  symlinks        1.0-5          scan/change symbolic links
ii  sysklogd        1.3-15         Kernel and system logging daemons
ii  syslinux        1.30-4         Boot disk creator for Intel Systems.
ii  sysnews         0.8-8          display system news
ii  sysutils        1.3            Miscellaneous small system utilities.
hi  sysvinit        2.70-1         System-V like init.
ii  tar             1.11.8-11      GNU tar
ii  tcl76           7.6p2-4        The Tool Command Language (TCL) v7.6 - Run-T
ii  tcl8.0          8.0-2          The Tool Command Language (TCL) v8.0 - Run-T
ii  tcl8.0-dev      8.0-2          The Tool Command Language (TCL) v8.0 - Devel
ii  tcsh            6.07.02-2      An enhanced version of the Berkeley C shell.
ii  tetex-base      0.4pl8-4       teTeX library files
ii  tetex-bin       0.4pl6-7       teTeX binary files
ii  tetex-doc       0.4pl8-2       teTeX documentation
ii  tetex-extra     0.4pl8-2       teTeX library files
ii  textutils       1.22-1         The GNU text file processsing utilities.
ii  time            1.6-7          The GNU time utility.
ic  timezone        7.55-2         Data files needed to set your local time
ii  timezones       2.0.4-1        Time zone data files and utilities.
ii  tk42            4.2p2-4        The Tk toolkit for TCL and X11 v4.2 - Run-Ti
ii  tree            1.2-4          displays directory tree, in color
ii  units           1.53-3         converts between different systems of units.
ii  update          1.2-1          daemon to periodically flush filesystem buff
ii  util-linux      2.5-10         Miscellaneous system utilities.
ii  uudeview        0.5.13-1       Smart multi-file multi-part decoder
ii  vlock           1.0-4          Virtual Console locking program
ii  vm              6.34-1         A mail user agent for Emacs
ii  w3-el           3.0.86-1       This is a hypertext (World Wide Web) browser
ii  weblint         1.020-1        a syntax and minimal style checker for HTML
ii  wenglish        1.0-6          English dictionary words for /usr/dict
ii  wu-ftpd         2.4-27         A powerful replacement for the standard ftpd
ii  xbase           3.3-3          Local clients and configuration required by
ii  xbooks          3.3-6          General X Window System documentation
ii  xlib6           3.3-3          Shared libraries required by X clients
ii  xlib6-dev       3.3-3          Include files and libraries for X client dev
ii  xmanpages       3.3-6          Manual pages for X developers
ii  xntp3           5.89-1         Network Time Protocol clients and server
ii  xntp3-doc       5.90-9         xntp HTML documentation
ii  ytalk           3.0.2-4        Enhanced talk program with X support.
ii  zip             2.10-4         Archiver for .zip files
ii  zlib1           1.0.4-7        compression library - runtime
ii  zlib1-dev       1.0.4-7        compression library - development
ii  zoo             2.10-4         manipulate archives of files in compressed f
ii  zsh             3.0.2-1        A shell with lots of features.