Alpha packages

I, too, have tried to install Debian on my Alpha.  It seems to me that
there is a critical path for development.  Before we can port the
niceties such as X, we need the compiler, libraries, and binutils.
Too, it seems to me that these should be simple recompiles, no?

In reading the Debian FAQ, it looks as if it is organized as one
package, one maintainer.  Don't we have one package, one architecture,
one maintianer?

I'm looking into the approved-developer thing and hope to accomplish
it next week.  I have a couple of idle UDBs and can set them compiling.

-- Oscar