Re: newbie with debian/alpha

On 29 Apr 1997, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:

Hi,

> > redhat to boot it. putting MILO in 2MB partition is just the
> > solution i want to use for now.
>
> It's the most generic solution, though I think you could, conceivably,
> blow MILO into Flash at some point.

I don't dare to do that ..... yet ;)

> > Trying to test compiling then?. nah. everything compiled segfaults.
> > It seemed that libc6.1 conflicted badly with libc6 and the situation
> > was quite nonworking.
>
> At that point, you _ought_ to be able to remove libc6, which might
> help things.

Now i have tried again and i removed libc6 and libc6-dev, but i had
to manually link libc.so.6.1 -> libc.so.6 (and ld.so) as gcc is linked
against that. we will see if it can compile a kernel before i finnish
this message ..... :)

> Blast.  My fault.  This is another of those things where we're having
> to maintain a separate alpha version.  I'll put a copy of
> binutils/libbfd 2.7.0.16 up at the same
>
> debian.med.miami.edu:/pub/mdorman

I don't see it still ...

> I'l put the binutils stuff up.  I've got a glibc that is merged with
> David Engel's, so I think we'll be able to get that officially
> uploaded no problem.

i am more that willing to test anything. i feel much more 'alive', when i
can again 'play around' with not-so-stable-things :)
Of course i have my limitations in knowing the UN*X intenals, but i'll learn
more every day.

> > PS. Maybe i don't remeber everything just now as i am just finishing
> > first cup of coffee which says that i am not fully awake yet ;)
>
> I suspect you got most of it.

I think so, but now i am waiting to see, if i can compile zsh and kernel,
before i actually send this message as hello.c is compiling/working just fine
and drink couple more cups of coffee :)
Coffee is done, but i am still waiting results from compiler
This Alpha @ 166Mhz w/ 256cache is slow, but i love it already :)
Anybody knows anything about ISA-cards with DMA/IRQ? (namely sound)
I am getting 'IRQ/DMA timeout' complains vitually in any combination
zsh done -> seems to work
gets linked against ld.so.1 thought and won't link without it :(
And while i remember - i had to link /lib/libbfd.so.2.7.0.3 as
libbfd.so.2.7.0.10 too to get things working
And holy smoke! it compiled, even booted, but there is something
srong with something like 'utsname' in the very begining of the
compile, so 'uname -a' doesn't look quite right. maybe i am missing
something needed still. will dig deeper to it ...

-- upi@iki.fi -- http://www.iki.fi/upi/