Re: DPKG not compiling due to differences between Alpha and Intel...

David Mosberger-Tang writes:
> [Dominik Kubla <dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de> said:]
> > First thing i tried to compile was dpkg - and it failed
> > miserably because Linux/Alpha does not define all syscalls!
> > This is apparently because of the OSF/1 compatibility.
>
> No, it's not (primarily) because of OSF/1 compatibility.  Call it
> laziness or whatever.  I think it's not a bad thing to add kernel
> syscalls "on demand" especially since nobody has so far volunteered to
> (a) go through the list of Linux kernel calls and add the missing ones
> in one big swoop *and* (b) volunteered to test the calls just added.
> Doing it one by one makes testing easier.  Having said that, I don't
> believe there are that many calls missing any more.

!

Well, what am I supposed to do, as a software author ?

I discover that the syscall I want is documented but isn't implemented
consistently in the libcs, and there doesn't seem to be any way for me
to use it that'll work on any system.

If someone gives me a nice solution for dpkg I'll put it in the
code.  Until then I don't see that there's much I can do other than
what I'm doing at the moment - namely, use _syscallX and report it
as a bug against each successive version of the libc.

Ian.