Re: DPKG not compiling due to differences between Alpha and Intel...

  Dominik> First thing i tried to compile was dpkg - and it failed
  Dominik> miserably because Linux/Alpha does not define all syscalls!
  Dominik> This is apparently because of the OSF/1 compatibility.

No, it's not (primarily) because of OSF/1 compatibility.  Call it
laziness or whatever.  I think it's not a bad thing to add kernel
syscalls "on demand" especially since nobody has so far volunteered to
(a) go through the list of Linux kernel calls and add the missing ones
in one big swoop *and* (b) volunteered to test the calls just added.
Doing it one by one makes testing easier.  Having said that, I don't
believe there are that many calls missing any more.

	--david