Re: Breaking down barriers to ROCm packaging

I'm replying to this instead of in my thread since I have hardware
questions also.

On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 01:53:18PM -0700, Cordell Bloor wrote:
> 2. Navi 31 (gfx1100) is a well-supported AMD GPU architecture. It is only
> officially supported by AMD on Windows, but it should work fine on Linux.
> The version of rocm-hipamd packaged for Debian is too old to support Navi
> 31, but I plan to update to a new upstream release within the next month.
> This is the architecture of the RX 7900 XTX, RX 7900 XT, Radeon PRO W7900,
> and Radeon PRO W7800.

Would Navi 32 work (ie. Radeon PRO W7700)?  I know the same things
would apply as for Navi 31 but are there any further hurdles to be
expected with it as well?  I think I want to limit the wattage of what
I put in my desktop computer.

I also happen to have a Fury card which may be kind of supported but
I'm not going to seriously try this with Fiji.

As a personal matter, I'm more comfortable with just buying whatever's
needed myself.  Unless it needs to be top of the line then I guess I
can reconsider.  I have an interest in this which is why I'm on this
list and if you're asking people to join in then I'm ready to take the
dip.  Access to hardware wasn't as such what kept me away.  Though I
don't really have any experience with GPU programming so pointers to
what needs attention are welcome.

I guess I'd be upgrading my desktop computer too as I don't think an
FX-8350 would cut it for this anymore.  Anything on AM5 should be
fine, right?