Re: RFS: rocm-hipamd/5.2.3-11 -- Heterogeneous Interface for Portability

Following up...

On 7/21/23 10:52, Cordell Bloor wrote:
On 7/21/23 06:52, Étienne Mollier wrote:
Thanks, I hit a build failure with qemu ppc64el and binfmt, so I
put it on account of my weird configuration, but apparently the
buildd hit the same error[1].

[1]:https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=rocm-hipamd&arch=ppc64el&ver=5.2.3-11&stamp=1689894646&raw=1

It didn't fail on my VM until I ran `apt upgrade`. It seems we uploaded in the middle of the switchover from gcc-12 to gcc-13. The FTBFS will be the same on all architectures eventually. ppc64el just got gcc-13 earlier.

To me, this looks like hipGraphMemcpy1D had a broken implementation of host-to-host copies in ROCm 5.2.3. Unfortunately, this function was entirely reworked in ROCm 5.6.0 and the problem section no longer exists at all in the upstream project. If this is a real null pointer dereference bug, it will also affect Bookworm. :(

We can always cross our fingers that it's just dead code, but this probably warrants further investigation.