Re: RFS: rocm-hipamd/5.2.3-11 -- Heterogeneous Interface for Portability

Hi all,

On 2023-07-20 21:53, Étienne Mollier wrote:
> That's probably not too problematic, but the autopkgtest stub
> for rocm-hipamd caught a warning in hipcc output:

> 	$ hipcc --help
> 	dpkg-architecture: warning: cannot determine CC system type, falling back to default (native compilation)

my hunch is that this warning can be ignored. It works anyway, right?

> This seems to be caused by the dpkg-architecture invocation when
> gcc is missing in the minimal test environment:
>
> 	$ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_CPU
> 	dpkg-architecture: warning: cannot determine CC system type, falling back to default (native compilation)
> 	x86_64
> 	# apt-get install gcc -y
> 	[…]
> 	$ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_CPU
> 	x86_64
>
> The fix/workaround would be for hipcc to depend on gcc, or just
> the testbed if there really is no reason for hipcc to strongly
> depend on gcc apart from avoiding the warning:

There might be another fix: it seems that in hipcc, the call to
dpkg-architecture is introduced by patch 0016-*.

If the warning can safely be ignored, redirecting stderr in that one
call would also be sufficient, right?

(Wish I could test this, but Perl is entirely opaque to me...)

Best,
Christian