Re: purposes

> And absolutly unchangeable and unfixable in 99% of all cases. Theres
> just no clean structure in perl code most of the time.
> Thats the greates advantage and the greatest drawback of perl.

True, but thats changing really fast, not for any admin reason, but because
Mod_Perl is quickly replacing CGI, and Mod_Perl ~must~ be run in strict mode.

Strict means that the script is really a library, with constructors and methods
and all, and not a script.

Therefore, a script in the SH sense is written in very lightweight OO, just a
few lines to invoke the script/library and then the rest will most likely be in
procedural code, unless of course you "use strict"

Java, ironically, is turning out to be perls best friend.  Soon Perl modules
will have to be as well ordered as Java beans, classes, etc.

I strongly considered Java as an admin language, but these days I dont think
the mentalities are necessarily compatible with the soup to nuts culture of
admin and operations.  Perl has seeped into every crack and is a the moment
gluing the whole damn financial world together.

> May the Source be with you.
> 			Goswin

===
John van Vlaanderen