Re: collect debian-admintools

R Garth Wood <rgwood@peace.netnation.com> writes:

> > > Why not instead have in the post install script update-debianconfig
> > > which would add your config file to a db and then run
> > > update-debianconfig-menu?
> >
> > on no.

That would show in every users menus. BAD.

> > 1.) I wouldn't collect config files

Why should you, dpkg can do that far better. :) Wait for my proposal.

> I don't understand.
>
> > 2.) it is to difficult

Nope it isn't. My proposal includes that all configurations are in a
seperate script and can be restarted at any time. Any such script can
just be inserted into a database during installation.

> Why is it too difficult?
>
> > 3.) I would collect config programs and have a menu of it
>
> That's what I'm proposing.

What about cvs, netscape, apache and many programms that don't have a
seperate config programm, but just the postinst scripts?

> > 4.) we have a very nice menu system, we don't need a new one
>
> Nono. This would not conflict with the menu system; it would just
> add an intermediate step.

The menu system is only good for stuff that every user has to see, but
fails for stuff like config programs, that are only for one user or a
small group.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin