Re: dpkg modification: non-interactivity

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Mitch Blevins wrote:
> > Maybe we could use something similar to libtricks where dpkg (and spawned
> > programs like the post/pre scripts) are presented with a 'fake' filesystem
> > that appears to change for them, but is only an illusion.
>
> So a package thinks it is configured but actually it isn't? That sounds
> like a really bad idea..
>
> The only solution I see so far is making each maintainer script check
> with dpkg if a directory should be processed before doing anything in
> there. That will make life for maintainers hard though.

This only appears to be a bad idea when you are looking clearly at it.
Try squinting your eyes and leaning your head to the left. ;)

Actually, libtricks seems to me to be the only viable solution.
The multi-machine installation sites are a small minority of Debian users.
Do you want to add logic to every installation tool and script, or
simply add one wrapper that allows the admin to exclude the directory
for all install programs.

Bugs in Debian programs (and [de]install scripts) are caught only because
people use them and report them.  Requiring this logic in scripts for
new maintainers is an excessive burden to them, and bugs would probably slip
by without being caught until too late (shows up on a whole site of machines).

Why change our tools and procedures to make them more complex just to
accomodate a small population of users?

-Mitch