Re: dpkg modification: non-interactivity

Previously Mitch Blevins wrote:
> My thoughts exactly.  I'd like to see more discussion on this.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of discussion you would like. The minimal
implementation is a file with a list of directories dpkg should ignore.

This can and will break any application that does not follow policy and
tries to modify something in /usr of that is shared. Another thing is
{pre,post}{inst,rm} scripts trying to modify things in a shared
directory, which is clearly also bad. And finally things like
update-alternative, install-info, and dpkg-divert will need to honour
exclusions.

We can fix it quite easily for dpkg, dpkg-divert, install-update,
update-alternatives. Modifying the {pre,post}{inst,rm} scripts will be
hell, and everything else it outside our control.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl