Re: QtAda & Debian

Gour writes:
>> Welcome back to Ada :)
>
> After evaluating the status of Qt bindings for .NET/Mono, I've decided
> to settle on Ada and try witz Qt bindings.
>
> There is no perfect language (I am also not), so I'm sure that Ada
> presents some of the top notch langauges and that it's capable to
> serve realization of my project providing decent performance,
> type-safety and ease of maintenance.
>
> Moreover, I believe that if/when gtk2 get dropped, AdaCore will
> provide some GUI solution if Qt bindings fail for some reason.

AdaCore provide GtkAda 3 as part of GNAT GPL 2013.  They plan to drop
support for GtkAda 2 in the future, so as far as they are concerned, the
future of GUI is GtkAda 3.

> Considering that some time ago l've switched to Debian (after I spent
> more that 10 yrs with Gentoo & Arch) in order to reduce admin time
> required to keep my OS sane, now I would like to know how could I help
> the best to improve Ada toolchain in Debian? (I run x86_64 Sid.)

Thanks a lot.

Your first steps are listed here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-ada/2010/03/msg00003.html

Since you are mostly interested in packaging QtAda, I suggest this
roadmap:

1. install gnat-4.6 and Qt from the Debian repository
2. install and build QtAda from sources (select one or the other
   binding)
3. if step 2 requires patching QtAda or the build scripts of QtAda,
   send the patches upstream
4. start packaging QtAda for Debian
5. send an email to this list requesting for a sponsor to upload your
   package to Debian
6. when gnat-4.8 reaches unstable, update the packaging

Don't hold your breath for gnat-4.8 though because I'm having problems
finding the time to work on it.