Re: anything to help with?

Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:

> I did provide builds for gentoo & arch, but those were not in
> 'official' repos. Debian is more serious distro and I wonder how much
> time, in general is required to maintain a package?

Once you've learned the tools, it doesn't take much time.

>> Your choice of testing (wheezy) is good and sound not only because
>> wheezy is indeed very stable for everyday use but also because now is
>> a good time to report any problems with it, before it becomes stable.
>
> Am I right assuming that in order to take care for some general Debian
> package, it's not required to use sid which I'd like to avoid?
> (Debian's stability is one of the reasons I'm here now.)

To submit new builds, they must be compiled against the current unstable
(sid, at the moment); that's how progress is made.

But you do that in a 'chroot' on your testing system, so you are not
exposed to unstable except when compiling new builds.

Read up on 'schroot'; it's a very nice tool.

--
-- Stephe