Re: Next version of ASIS in Debian

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

> Vadim Godunko wrote:
>> On 05/24/2011 02:00 PM, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>>> ASIS is tightly correlated with GCC, so we must find as close a match
> as
>>> possible between the ASIS and GCC sources.  This problem is mitigated,
>>> but not eliminated, by libgnatvsn which we build from the GCC sources
>>> for use in ASIS.
>>>
>> What is purpose of this library?
>
> To address a configuration management problem.
>
> The ASIS source distribution from AdaCore contains a copy of part of GNAT
> which is slightly out of sync with both the GNAT GPL (same edition) and FSF
> GCC sources.  In particular, since the FSF does not distribute ASIS,

Why not? Is that because AdaCore doesn't want to push the changes, or
did FSF decide not to take the code?

ASIS is (as we know) very useful.

> The reason ASIS needs these parts of GNAT is so it can read the parse tree
> files emitted by GNAT.  I don't exactly understand why GPS needs that as
> well.

I think that's for code navigation, but I'm not sure.

> In the future, I would like gprbuild to also use these libraries instead
> of its own, out-of-sync copies :/

Is there any way we can lobby/pressure AdaCore to copy the shared
library solution? I'm a paying customer, but I suspect it would take
several, and they would just say "use what we provide", which does work.

--
-- Stephe