Re: Dependencies of -dbg and -doc packages

Jacob Sparre Andersen <jacob@jacob-sparre.dk> writes:

> Stephen Leake wrote:
>> Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
>
>>> And "how can he/she easily install a complete Ada development
>>> environment".
>>
>> There is no single answer to that question. Just choosing between
>> GPS and Emacs is not simple. "install a basic Ada developmenent
>> environment" is accomplished by "aptitude install gnat". But
>> "complete" depends heavily on what you are doing. Do you need
>> OpenToken (for writing mini-languages), or libgtk (for writing GUIs)
>> or libasis (for writing source-parsing tools)? I happen to have all
>> of those installed, but I am _not_ typical :).
>
> Is it wrong to give people all of it?

Yes. It's overwhelming, it takes up disk space (disks are cheap, but not
free), it takes a long time.

On the other hand, people are always free to simply not install the "all
Ada" package. Providing choice is good, as long as it doesn't consume
resources that could be better spent elsewhere.

> I may not be a typical Ada programmer either, but as long as our
> definition of a complete Ada development environment is sufficiently
> small to fit in the resources of a typical (potential) Ada developer,
> I prefer to get a bit too much, rather than a bit too little.

Here's mine:

Emacs + DVC
gnat-4.4
gprbuild
aunit
asis
opentoken
gtkada
gnade
qtada (not a Debian package yet)

Note that this does _not_ include GPS, nor Eclipse.

>>> I think we should expect people to search for "Ada". How can we
>>> help them get most out of that query?
>>
>> Delete all other packages that have the "ada" in the name. Not going
>> to happen.
>
> Could we get Synaptic to list exact, case-sensitive debtags matches
> higher than other search results?

As an enhancement, maybe. Currently, I can't get it to do any debtags
searches.

The debtags package provides a command line interface to search for
packages related to a given package (presumabely via shared tags). But
it seems broken. The tags on the gnat package are:

    Tag: devel::compiler, devel::lang:ada, implemented-in::ada,
    implemented-in::c, interface::commandline, role::dummy,
    role::program, scope::utility, suite::gnu,
    works-with::software:source

but 'debtags related gnat' gives a null list.

even worse:

stephe@Shevek$ debtags search ada
stephe@Shevek$ debtags search devel::lang::ada
stephe@Shevek$