Re: Dependencies of -dbg and -doc packages

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

> The other tool is aptitude.  Since Debian 4.0 "Etch", aptitude is
> the official, recommended tool for both installation and upgrades; it
> supersedes dselect.
>
> If you navigate to gnat-4.3 and hit ENTER, you will see this:
>
> http://algebraicthunk.net/~dburrows/projects/aptitude/doc/en/ch01s01s01.html
>
> Towards the bottom of the screen, a line says:
>
> --- Packages which depend on gnat-4.3
>
> And you can expand it (with ENTER) to:

Ok, now it is showing packages that are not installed. I don't see what
I did differently this time than last time :(. Apparently ncurses
interfaces just don't like me (or vice-versa :).

> On each package in each of these categories, you can type '+' to install
> it, '-' to remove it, ENTER to display its detailed information, etc.

Ok.

> This is how I installed all Ada packages; the only problem is that I
> sometimes had to do multiple cycles of ENTER, scroll down, '+' to get
> all packages.  And I missed a few -dbg or -doc packages that are *not*
> currently linked to gnat-4.3 in any way.

Right. It's not automatically a recursive depends list.

> PS. I hear aptitide now has a GTK+ interface in addition to the ncurses
> interface.  I've never used it.

That would be aptitude-gtk, whose description says:

 This package contains an EXPERIMENTAL version of aptitude that includes
 a GTK+-based graphical interface. It is INCOMPLETE and may not work
 properly. If you do not need a GUI or prefer a more stable interface,
 you can instead use the version of aptitude found in the package
 "aptitude".

synaptic serves the same purpose, and appears to be more mature.

>> And we still need a FAQ to point out this way of using synaptic; it's
>> not obvious, both because it doesn't involve searching for "ada", and it
>> involves the mysterious "dependencies" search option.
>
> How about an appendix in the Debian Policy for Ada?

That makes sense. Although it would be best of a web search for "Debian
Ada FAQ" found it. Hmm. Currently, the first hit for that phrase, on
ask.com and Google, is the Debian Policy for Ada. So I guess that
criterion is satisfied :).

The third hit on Google is also Debian Policy for Ada, but on the
out-dated adaworld.com. That site will never die!

--
-- Stephe