Re: Accessible terminal output

Niels Thykier (2024/01/28 11:54 +0100):
> Thanks, I get what you mean now. :)
>
> In my case, my tool is not interactive. It generates text output and either
> emits all of it on standard out or pipes it to a pager. It is closer to a
> tool like ls than mutt in spirit. As far as I know, my tool cannot control
> the caret of the output in any meaningful way in this case.

Indeed the caret thing feels irrelevant then.

One suggestion, though, is to avoid as much as possible the embellishing
characters and any unnecessary Unicode fanciness because that will
likely make the output of the tool harder to read on a braille display;
At the very least, if you want to embelish your output, it would be nice
if there is a mode where this embelishment can be disabled, either
through a command-line option, an environemnt variable or a directive in
a configuration file. Basically have at least one output that would be
easy to parse by a script.

Seb.