Re: Accessible terminal output

Samuel Thibault:
Hello,

Giving a very small answer here.

Niels Thykier, le sam. 27 janv. 2024 22:18:23 +0100, a ecrit:
Like should the tool disable
ANSI color and boldface output to avoid creating confusing output?

Screen readers just ignore colors & bold/italic :)

Thanks. :)

One thing that is important for the screen reader to know what to render
is to put the caret on the item that matters.

Samuel

I have trouble with this one. Can you provide an example that would work in the terminal or a command that does this well?

The only two examples I can come up with are either using accented characters like combining ^ and a into â, which visually looks like putting a "caret on the item" or underling a word with ^ symbol, which is how modern c-compiler high lights the part of the code that is causing issue. However, I suspect both of these are visualizations and therefore not useful in practice. Furthermore, my web searches does not seem to find the phrase. I end up in HTML guides or caret browsering. None of which seem to apply to terminal command output.

Best regards,
Niels