Re: Debian Installer Bookworm Alpha 2 release

I'll be glad to do that, Samuel.

Tonight I got a system installed, but again it will not allow me to log in with my user name.

I have to log in as root then su to my user name. But then I cannot start X with my user account.

Please tell me exactly what log files and their locations you will need. This will help as I will give you the results and then give you those log files. I guess I could log into pastebin and put the logs up there. This list doesn't accept small log attachments does it?

I can certainly understand how difficult it is to do things remotely. I was a field service engineer and my worse situations were in repairs where the company had a technician or engineer and they had done everything they could. That meant the fix was going to be a nightmare.

More later!

DR

On Tue, Mar 7, 2023, 18:19 Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:
Hello,

D.J.J. Ring, wrote:
> I used the text installer to install speech, but no speech was heard
> during installation.  Usually that is because the firmware hasn't been
> included.  The old "non-free" images worked fine before, but I guess
> not all the firmware that was in the "non-free" images has been put in
> the Alpha 1 and Alpha 2 iso files.

See the changelogs: Alpha 1 didn't have firmware (the vote wasn't even
passed at the time), only Alpha 2 has them.

To check about this and fix it, we'd need information from the working
case: installation logs etc. from the bullseye firmware image.

Also it would be useful to have the same information from the bullseye
*non* firmware image, to see what is different between the two, which is
making the card actually work.

> What I am going to do is get one of the old firmware ISO's for Stable
> Bullseye and install that because it worked,

And then please report as mentioned above.

> I have enclosed the files I thought would be helpful,

They are showing that the drivers properly detected an hda intel card.
They are not talking about missing firmware. That's why we'd need to
compare with the bullseye case, to know what's happening differently.

> I'm just frustrated at spending all this time to get the latest Debian
> installed,

Perhaps you can think of my frustration at not have the hardware that
poses problem, and thus have to try to *divine* what could be going
wrong in your case.

> Probably it's just a small thing of firmware but lack of firmware
> makes it very difficult to install Debian.

And knowing what happens is very difficult without actually having the
hardware at hand. That's why we need input to actually fix things.