Re: espeakup stops speaking bookworm arm64

On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 at 22:17, <tommym2006@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I don't know if my issue is the same as this or something different, but I am experiencing Espeakup or Espeak crashing while using Vmware on one of the new macs with the m2 processor.
>
> What url entries should Iput in my sources.list file to see if installing a different package works better?

That issue does seem similar, thanks Tom.  I don't think there is
known fix yet, but there are some debug packages that you could
install if you have time to help track this down using gdb (a
debugging tool).

To do that, the first step is to enable a sources.list entry for debug
symbol packages, then to install the gdb and espeakup-dbgsym packages,
and then after the espeakup process stops speaking, to attach the gdb
debugger to locate where it got stuck by running: gdb
/usr/bin/espeakup <pid-of-broken-process>

If that works and you are provided with a (gdb) shell, you should be
able to type the single word 'bt' and press enter to get a backtrace,
and then copy and paste the results here.

The sources.list entry I added for Debian bookworm has the URI
http://deb.debian.org/debian-debug and the suite bookworm-debug, and
only includes packages from main.  More complete instructions are
available at https://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace - note that I
don't think we should need to recompile any packages in this case,
because debug symbol packages should be available on arm64.