Re: how to format

Yeah, when I couldn't get it to work, I searched it on-line, and it gave
examples, and no extensions work, they are all like typing mkfs alone.
>From what I have read, I should be able to do:
sudo mkfs.ntfs /dev/sdc1
And I tried another sort I read on-line:
sudo mkfs -t ntfs /dev/sdc1
But nothing worked.
So I used fdisk to remove the partition, then I made a new one, it didn't
offer a FS type, so I plugged it into windows to format it NTFS.
I wish I could have done it in Linux.
I just bought a new 64 GB thumb drive, and I didn't want a new drive to have
some malware on it, so I like to wipe the partition and reformat it, in case
they get infected during manufacturing.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jude DaShiell" <jdashiel@panix.com>
To: "K0LNY_Glenn" <glenn@ervin.email>;
<debian-accessibility@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2022 8:24 PM
Subject: Re: how to format

mkfs isn't a command.  mkfs is a prefix.  If yu want to put an ext4
partition on a drive you use mkfs.ext4.  You might check for that command
and check for the other mkfs commands as well.

Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
defense of liberty:
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)

.