Re: Having a d-i boot timeout for enabling speech?

john doe <johndoe65534@mail.com> writes:

> On 2/28/2022 12:17 AM, Holger Wansing wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote (Sun, 13 Feb 2022 02:28:48 +0100):
>>> Users on the debian-accessibility mailing list reported that they found
>>> it very useful that the MacOS X installation image automatically starts
>>> a speech-enabled installer when the boot menu is left untouched for
>>> 10 seconds, so that blind people have really nothing more to do than
>>> plugging the installation USB key and turning the computer on to get a
>>> speaking installer (and notably in the case when the computer does not
>>> have a hardware speaker for beeping at the boot menu).
>>>
>>> It happens that syslinux supports this, the attached patch implements
>>> it. What do debian-boot people think about the idea?
>>
>> This seems to be only in interest for a limited group of people, however
>> from my point of view the pro's beat the con's, so my vote would be
>> "why not".
>>

> Increasing the wait time to something like 60sec might not be a bad idea
> to avoid this being a distraction to the vast majority of users.

One could have a very prominent visual notice at the start of the speech
install pointing out to people that if they want a normal install all
they need to do is hit Ctrl-Alt-DEL to restart the boot, and then make
any sort of movement at the menu to interrupt the timeout speech
install.

One could perhaps also provide an easy way of tweaking our images to
disable the timeout, for those where this is going to be a significant
inconvenience.  If some unique comment were added, that might be done
with a simple sed on the .iso images.

> Even better would be to aline with what other OSes are doing (docs welcome).
>
> For what it is worth, I could not find documentation backing up a wait
> time in other OSes.

While standardisation would be good, I don't think we need to wait for
others to innovate in this space.

Cheers, Phil.