Re: Thanks so Much

Hi Sam,

Le 25/02/2022 à 05:15, Sam Hartman a écrit :
It's been a while since I wrote in and said thanks, and I just wanted to
report that I still appreciate the great work and things are (for the
most part) working great.

I'm using gnome/gdm, orca, and emacspeak, with pipewire for audio,

Really? How do you set your speech-dispatcher conf to have pipewire? I installed it some weeks ago in Sid and lost my sound on Orca. And I thought it was due to the fact spd was not able to work with this new audio stack. I would be interested to test it if it becomes a standard and as I am not a fan of pulseaudio

and things work well.
This laptop has strange sound issues with boot, but for example if I
suspend it, wait a while, and then unsuspend it's fine.
I don't think that's an accessibility problem; other laptops have worked
fine.
I just haven't gotten around to enabling ssh and digging into it; I
haven't reported a bug because I don't know what is going on well
enough.

Overall though, things just work and I can focus on writing code rather
than on accessibility.
I cannot stress how happy I am about that!

I am curious what people use as a way to get to terminal applications in
a GUI desktop.
I'm  using terminal mode inside emacspeak for that.  It's the only thing
I've found where I can do all the cut&paste things that I want.

Indeed, I use terminal (very much) in GUI, but thanks to braille. I run brltty so that I have in a GUI a terminal behaviour similar as I have in a tty. The pure terminal + orca is not flexible (note, however, ins-ctrl-c enables to copy the object under the flat review of Orca)

But it feels like there ought to be a better solution for using text
apps inside a graphical environment.

Also perhaps you could use a screen (window manager) environment in a terminal inside the GUI? screen has its own cut-and-paste features accessible with keyboard.

Regards

--Sam