Re: To all candidates: Debian and people with disabilities

Yeah, right now there is a device being tested, the NLS EReader. This is a braille display that the National Library Service for the Blind in the US is having companies develop so that they can then distribute them, for free, to their patrons. Two versions are being tested, one from the Humanware manufacturer, and another from Zoomax. The one from Zoomax works currently, in at least BRLTTY 6.4, and work is being done to complete support for the Humanware model. So I'm glad device support can be added in stable like that. I only have access to the Humanware model, and some devices, like Android phones, don't support it, while others, like iOS systems, have... unfinished support for it.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 6:34 AM Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:
Jean-Philippe MENGUAL, le mar. 22 mars 2022 11:51:43 +0100, a ecrit:
> If it adds a driver for your device, indeed, a backport is a good
> idea.

Note that sometimes supporting a new device does not actually require
a completely new driver, only a small addition to recognize the USB
device. That can be added in stable updates without problem.