Solution for Those Who Cannot Log Into MATE in Bullseys

I tried updating using my /etc/apt/sources.list file set to "stable"
and tried logging in.  I could not log in to MATE, I downloaded jwm
and tried selecting that, and I could log in.

I then changed /etc/apt/sources.list and replaced "stable" with
"testing", then I ran as root, "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade".

Now I can log in to MATE.

I changed my /etc/apt/sources.list back to "stable" by replacing
"testing" with "stable" and then ran "apt-get update" and "apt-get
upgrade" a whole bunch of packages were held back but it upgraded what
could be safely upgraded.

I can now run MATE from Debian Stable / Bullseye.

Eventually the Stable repositories will contain the fixes that are in
the Testing repositories and everything will be OK.

Great!

Thanks,
David Ring