Re: Audio problems with Debian, speech output and the latest VMware Workstation release :-(

Hi Christian

Christian Schoepplein schrieb am 05.06.2020, 11:41 +0200:
>On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 10:50:31AM +0200, Sebastian Humenda wrote:
>>Christian Schoepplein schrieb am 05.06.2020,  9:44 +0200:
>>>I unfortunatly have to use Debian in a virtual machine on a Windows 10
>>>system. The virtualitation software I am using is VMware Workstation 15.
>>>
>>>Since the latest update of VMware Workstation to the version 15.5.5 the sound
>>>output and therefore also the speech output is stucking. It sounds like the
>>>system is under heavy load and speech is only outputed in fragments with
>>>little breaks in between...
>>[…]
>>
>>It might be unrelated, it might be similar. I'm using VirtualBox with a
>>console-only, pulse-disabled Debian stable. If this doesn't match your set up,
>>skip this e-mail :).
>
>How did you get rid of pulse-audio? What are the necessary steps to configure this?

https://wiki.debian.org/accessibility#Disable_Pulseaudio

This has a couple of disadvantages such as more complicated USB sound card
management, if you happen to use that. If you don't, I can highly recommend
it. If you have a chance to install a fresh Debian with braille, I would
advice to install a fresh copy of Debian, disable Pulse as described and play
sound using a player such as mpv. If the stuttering is gone, you could have
found the cause, even though pulse might not be the root cause.

Cheers
Sebastian