Re: new 10.3 install, Gnome, screen reader starts talking then system appears to freeze, how can I troubleshoot?

Thanks Alex. Under Debian-testing, build uploaded 2020/03/09:
Mate speaks correctly. My first Linux desktop. I suspect Debian 10.3
would be fine.
Gnome. Same failure result, speaks a few words then nothing. Enter,
Alt+Tab, Super+Tab, Alt+F2 orca --replace, nothing.

I guess Debian's defaults are the defaults for a reason. Here I
thought Gnome (Gnome 3) would have fewer bugs than Mate, a fork of
Gnome 2.

I can imagine an incompatibility, but orca under Gnome does speak a
few words. I'd be willing to try some log collecting to perhaps
diagnose Gnome 3. The Ubuntu 19.10 live CD has never spoken,
considering their speech shortcut is Super+Alt+S, they are probably
using a similar subsystem that just doesn't like my sound.

On-board sound card: ROG SupremeFX 2015 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII GENE; Chipset: Intel Z170

Alan