new 10.3 install, Gnome, screen reader starts talking then system appears to freeze, how can I troubleshoot?

Hello, I installed Debian 10.3 to a USB flash drive. The USB flash
drive is a brand new, higher end Samsung USB, that I just bought for
this purpose.

This USB boots. I hear one beep (MBR boot?) then Orca speaks (or, I
think its Orca):
screen reader on, 13 push button [word]
I missed the final word. I think "13" refers to the day of the month.

Then the system stops responding. Enter, Super+Alt+S, Super+Tab, or
Alt+Tab yield nothing. I think the system has frozen.

This is not inside a virtual machine. The CPU is 64-bit, and I have 16
GB of RAM.

When I was using the text installer, I chose Gnome (menu choice 2)
along with SSH (11) and standard utilities (12).

I believe I can find a way to mount the USB drive and review logs.
What can I review to help narrow this down?

Alan