Re: notions on Debian accessibility

Hello,

Rich Morin, le lun. 24 févr. 2020 08:22:06 -0800, a ecrit:
> The first notion has to do with the initial accessibility of the system.  There is probably a minimum set of tools (e.g., Fenrir, Orca) that would let a user get started.  If these were installed and configured properly on any Debian-derived system,

Orca is curently installed by default on Debian systems, by being a
dependency of task-{kde,lxde,lxqt,xfce,mate}-desktop and gnome.

> a blind user could hit a well-known key combination and gain access.

In most of these desktop environments, pressing control-logo-s starts
Orca. Ideally all desktop environments would support this shortcut.
You may want to look at my conference for debconf15, see the
accessibility-devel page.

> Once the user can access the command line, their next task is to install a working set of accessibility packages.  This could be aided by the creation of a meta-package for accessibility, including packages such as BRLTTY, MATE, and ratpoison.  I realize that there may be no consensus on the total list of such packages, but it should be possible to agree on a reasonable "working set".

That's the problem with accessibility: the exact set depends on the
user. If we were to define a "reasonable" list of packages we could
argue that this should just as well be installed by default (like Orca
is) so that a Debian system would by default be able to let anybody be
able to work reasonably well.

> Finally, on systems based on the Raspberry Pi and similar devices, it would be helpful for the OS to come up with SSH and Avahi enabled, allowing the user to log in conveniently from another system.

Ssh is installed when you enable the ssh task. Apparently avahi is not,
but that would be something to discuss with debian-boot@.