Re: should not be removed from Buster (important for visually impaired users))

Hi Mika,

On Sat, 06 Jul 2019 14:13:01 +0300 =?utf-8?q?Mika_Hanhij=C3=A4rvi?=
<miksuh@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am sorry that I report this so close to Buster release but I just noticeed
> that in the Debian Buster release notes it is said that Revelation is removed
> from the Buster. Release notes suggests that passwords can be exported from
> Revelation and then imported to keepass2 password manager. Unfortunately that
> is not an option if you are blind or other visually impaired user like I am.
> Keepass2 password manager is not accessible with the Orca screen reader. So it
> is not accessible if you are visually impaired. I am still using Debian
> Stretch, but this problem most likeyly applies to Buster too. I have tried
> every graphical password manager I can find in Debian Stretch and Revelation
> isthe only graphical password managerwhich is accessible with the Orca screen
> reader. None of the other graphical password managers are accessible with the
> Orca screen reader. So Revelation is really the only accessible graphical
> password manager for the visually impaired users.
>
> So now if Revelation password manager is is not in Buster then suddenly
> visually impaired users have no way to store their passwords and no way to
> access passwords already stored in Revelation.
>
> This is not ok, it is not ok to remove Revelation from Debian when there is no
> other accessible password manger and no way to use keepass2 because it is not
> accessible with Orca screen reader.
>
> Please include Revelation in Buster.

I am terribly sorry to say that the release team and the accessibility
team only learned about your bug *after* the release. The reason is that
you filed this bug against a package that wasn't in either unstable or
testing (buster at the time of filing) therefor, nobody (except the
former maintainer of the package) was notified of your bug.

That said, revelation was removed from buster on Thu, 30 Nov 2017
because it depended on deprecated packages and nobody ported it to
something maintained. It really couldn't be included, unless somebody
would have done the work. This issue should have been raised 2 years
ago, so that there would have been time to look for a fix.

Sorry.

Paul