Re: Sound card not detected by the incoming Debian installer for Debian 10

On 7/7/19 12:03 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
We had a very
nasty story here. In 4.18, hda tries to register to the i915 module, but
doesn't wait if the module is not loadable. In 4.19.12 (used in alpha5),
it was made to wait for 10s. It was noticed at the time that audio could
take a lot of time to initialize, thus the espeakup wait was increased
to 30s for good measure. And then in 4.19.37 (used in rc), the wait
was increased to 60s! 30s is thus not enough now. I'll see with linux
packaging people to include the 915 module for the 10.1 dot release.

So to summarize: all hardware which have HDA-based cards will have the
issue.

That's why the installer for Slint64-14.2.1.2 I ship all (compressed)
kernel modules found in the Slackware kernel-modules package of
Slackware for the same kernel, and associated firmware. As an aside this
solves some display issue that exist in the genuine Slackware installer
but not in ours. I have still to find out which one Slackware misses
and tell them.

But I understand that makes an initrd too big to be acceptable by Debian,
that wants to stay small while targeting many uses cases, to the point
that if I remember well it be able to strip from its fonts the glyphs
that would be of no use during installation even for the many languages
it ships <smile>