Re: Linux 9 stretch What to do about reviving speakup?

	This is one of those times when the situation is unique
enough that apt-get and related tools can't figure out how to
blow away scripts that are no longer needed so that the new
systemd way of doing things wins out and speakup and espeak live
again.

	There are two debian stretch systems here.  One is the
one I did all the dangerous things on and ended up having to
simply remove speakup all together.  The other is still in it's
deadlocked configuration in which apt-get produces errors as it
uses the pre-systemd way to kill the non-existent running speech
and then it throws more errors as it still tries to use the
pre-system method of starting the new speakup.  It finally gives
up.

	I did get the git clone of the latest speakup and
immediately ran in to a missing library when doing the make
command so as I said in an earlier message to the speakup group,
this system is kicking and screaming every inch of the way.
Actually, the other system would do the same thing as both were
blown from the same ISO image which I got from the debian.org
site.

	The systems are otherwise quite functional so I want to
do as little harm as possible.

	One thing I tried on the system that presently has no
speakup left at all was to chmod -x /etc/init.d/espeakup.  This
did break the deadlock of trying to use the older methods of
stopping and starting programs but the end result didn't work so
that didn't buy anything good.

	What should I try next?

	As I said, I left the second system alone as insanity is
repeating the same wrong actions and expecting something
good.

	The un-touched system also does not have speak_lib.h so I
know I didn't just delete it accidentally.

	Thanks for any and all constructive suggestions.  I have
been using debian since right around 2000 and the reason why I
just got on debian-accessibility is because there are so few
issues like this so I am not complaining about anything anybody
has done or should have done.  These things happen in a complex
operating system in which thousands of people contribute to the
product.  It's amazing how well it does work as I have been
writing programs in various programming languages for 30 years in
unix and another ten years before that in basic, assembler and
script files for the Apple II and IBM PC.

	I always thought it was kind of fun but sometimes one is
ready to straighten out a horse shoe without a forge.

Martin McCormick