Re: default desktop

On 2/9/2019 11:19 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> john doe, le sam. 09 févr. 2019 09:53:03 +0100, a ecrit:
>> Something that is confusing is that when installing Debian with the
>> kernel boot parameter 'DEBIAN_FRONTEND=text', 'Debian desktop
>> environment' is not the desktop that is "accessible".
>
> Well, yes, changing the debconf frontend is not considered as asking for
> accessibility. There are various other reasons for requesting the text
> frontend.
>
>> Furthermore, while I value the talking installer ("install Debian with
>> speatch"), the default desktop environment should be the one propose by
>> Debian.
>
> Err, this is the converse of what you mentioned above, right?
>
> Most people will want the installed desktop to be the most accessible
> one, so the default should be that.

Agree, the point I'm trying to make is that 'Debian desktop environment'
(1 during the install process) should be the most accessible regardless
of which way you install.

In other words: 'Debian desktop environment' (option 1 at the pkg
selection step) should be set to Mate if it is deemed the most
accessible desktop environment.

>> I'll go back to a point I already raised, that is, the Debian talking
>> installer shouldn't presume the Debian defaults and ask for any changes
>> that involve accessibility.
>
> Yes, that is not forgotten. But it is buried within litteraly hundreds
> of other things which should be done.

Good to hear that it is on the todo list, should be available when
'priority' is set to 'low', so regular user are not bother by that.

Looking forward to test that.

Thank you Samuel, for your hard work.

P.S. 'Well' does not seem to have the same meening in English and in
French! :)

--
John Doe